- OpenERP/ Odoo 7.0/8 already has a great module for Point of Sales (POS). But based on our experience, the POS module which is built using browser’s local storage, has some disadvantages that make it not applicable for client which has a large amount of products. Unfortunately, most of retail business, shops, super market, mini market, groceries here have at least 20,000 items of products. So we faced a POS loading performance issue here.
Here are some problems we faced on using OpenERP POS module:
- slow loading when product is more than 20,000 items. It will take 15 mins on regular POS computer ( intel i3 processor) which is not feasible for most retails business
- product barcode must exactly be EAN13, but not all products here have EAN13 barcode and some have their own custom barcode
- when in operational cashier unintentionally press the Backspace key on the keyboard while the customer are queueing, web browser go back the the previous page and everything will be a mess, start loading for another 15 minutes, and the cashier got yelled by the customers
- POS Odoo is using Browser Local Storage so we have a maximum browser memory limitation
Looking at the source code itself at point_of_sale/static/src/db.js:
/* PosLS is a localstorage based implementation of the point of sale database.
* FIXME: The Products definitions and categories are stored on the locastorage even tough they’re
* always reloaded at launch. This could induce a slowdown because the data needs to be reparsed from
* JSON before each operation. If you have a huge amount of products (around 25000) it can also
* blow the 5.0MB localstorage limit.
So we decided to build our own piece of software using PHP+XAMPP that act as an OpenERP client and has full featured Point of Sales software capability like:
- can run stand alone in the cashier computer and get synchronized with OpenERP (product, COA, journal, stock move)
- all kind of barcode scanning
- direct print to POS printer
- direct print to barcode printer to print custom barcode
- manage products data, discount and gifts
- open session, take order, refund order,
- manage cashier data synchronize with OpenERP user
- post session data to OpenERP as summary sales journal and delivery orders
- synchronize product data, payment type, chart of account that necessary to post accounting data
[sociallocker id=1728]Your Coupon Code is FB2016. Use it when checking out from the above BUY NOW button and enjoy the 50% DISCOUNT ![/sociallocker]
For more information, please contact us at
Demo and Purchase click here:
Also check out YouTube video for a brief introduction of the product.